White Dog was shocked and saddened to learn of the death of her dear friend, Hana. We cried and hugged each other and sent thoughts of love and support to her parents who must be in shock over their loss. Then White Dog looked at me and said, "Hana was a joyful girl; full of life let's celebrate her and let her live forever in our memories, not say goodbye in a river of tears!" White Dog can sometimes be very wise...so here is our picture of Hana, the beautiful ButterEskie:
- Hana was regal not just because she was beautiful physically, she bore herself with a nobility, a generosity of spirit that invited us to share her adventures, and cheer for her stories.
- Hana was the first friend who ever left a comment on our blog. We blogged for over a year without ever receiving a word and one day there was Hana, saying "hi" and telling us how much she liked what we were writing. Then she posted an invitation on her own popular blog for everyone to come to White Dog Diaries to meet us.
- Hana was a gentlelady of style with tastes and habits similar to White Dog's; the first picture we saw of her she lounged on a bench wearing a lovely ribbon necklace. The lighting and her expression reminded us of the confidence and poise of Cleopatra. To this day White Dog will not wear any clothes EXCEPT for a ribbon necklace that Hana's mom made for her, she says when she does that she feels as elegant as her friend looked.
- Hana and her family can be counted on to help out those in need in our blog world. They helped organize auctions, make ribbon necklaces to donate, encourage the rest of us to visit newcomers, and are always among the first to post encouraging prayers for those with special needs.
- Hana and her mom regularly sent White Dog and Steve emails of support while I was in the hospital; they sent me cheery notecards which were one of the few bright spots in my hospital room. All of us so clung to those words.
- Hana loved Sammy Snacks enough that the owner of the treat company asked her to become a spokesmodel for their products...her magnetic personality and smile made her an instant star. Never a selfish diva, Hana recommended White Dog to Sammy Snacks for a spokemodeling opportunity as well.
- Hana is also the star of a series of wonderful everyday moment videos that her mom has posted on YouTube. Each captures the quiet everyday love in her home...each is a true affirmation of family.
- Hana came from a large family which has a yearly reunion; the ocean of white fluff from those gatherings was heart warming--and there was Hana right in the midst of it all! She and her mom continued the fun year round by arranging Eskie Meets with those who were in town visiting.
- Hana's Christmas magnet from last year still hangs low enough on the refrigerator for White Dog to see it regularly. Once when the cleaning lady knocked it off the door and it slipped under the unit, White Dog lay looking under the refrigerator and whimpered until Steve came home and could help us move the unit and rehang her friend's picture.
- Finally, White Dog does tear up as we think of what a magical beautiful butterfly Hana made this Halloween...and now she has wings of her own!
Hana is not gone; she will live forever in the hearts and memories of every single person (two- and four-legged) she has touched. We sat outside last night and looked to the stars trying to find Hana. One clearly winked at us and we knew it was White Dog's friend letting us know she is happy...and safe...and waiting.