"Momma, even though you look VERY different from us and walk on two legs and don't even have enough furs to keep you warm in the winter, we want you to know that we could ask for no better mother. You have taken each of us into your heart and have committed yourself fully to keeping us safe and healthy and happy ("not to mention very pampered," Nuka added). You are always there when one of us needs extra love or someone to chase away fears or just to make us feel better. We know being a momma, isn't as much about the actual moment of birth as what comes after and we want you to know that we are grateful every single day that you found us and made us a part of your life and heart. We love you, momma. Happy Mother's Day!"
"Stop," YoYoMa pushed his way to my side. "You are making her cry." I stroked his head and gathered the others into my arms in a giant hug. "There is nothing more precious to me than each of you. Of all the things I have accomplished, I am most proud of being the momma of the White Dog Army (and your wife, I added to Steve). And yes, I think of myself as your momma tried and true, despite the differences of our bodies; your fur moms could not have loved you more than I do."
Today, Steve and I and the White Dog Army send wishes for a special day of honor and recognition to every woman
- who has ever let her arms go numb as she held a sleeping child or pup;
- who has stayed up all night to chase away nightmares or keep watch on an illness;
- who set aside her tiredness or needs because one of the kids needed her;
- who has cleaned up the most atrocious messes accidental and mischievous;
- who has cried in frustration because she cannot make her child's pain go away;
- who has cheered over first words or tricks or successful potty training;
- who has given up bling for vet bills or dance lessons;
- who adjusts her day to fit in walks and playtimes and cuddles;
- who knows that she would fight off a bear with her bare hands to protect her precious one;
- who loves with such a fierceness that her heart almost bursts from its fullness;
- who does all this and still remembers favorite flavors and birthdays and tickle spots and a million other details.
Happy Mother's Day!