8.05.2013

August 4, 2013

White Dog came rushing out of the office followed by Steve. She sounded a major "INTRUDER" alert and the rest of the White Dog Army gathered. I looked up from the grocery list at Steve. "You won't believe what I just saw on our wall," he sputtered. "I just can't believe it!" White Dog continued the frenzy. "I hope it is worth all of this pandemonium," I replied. "A SQUIRREL!" "No!" "Yes, I did." "Sure it wasn't a kitten or a rat or chipmunk?" "It was a squirrel!!!"

We don't have squirrels in our neighborhood. It was one of the things that first charmed us about life in ABQ after leaving a midwestern garden annually savaged by the bush-tailed tree vermin...no squirrels. We have lived here now nearly 18 years and the closest we have come to face-to-face experiences has been the black ones we see when we hike mountain trails.

"No, it was a Chicago squirrel, I swear! If he is still around I will take a photo to prove it!" With that he set up his cell phone to camera and went back into the office...followed by the WDA. "Aha! He's still there. Posing even. Bold as the ones back East." And my triumphant husband returned to thrust his phone under my nose to see the beast. He was right, it was a squirrel.

"So, Army, we have a SQUIRREL! What are you going to do about it?" WD looked at Steve, then hopped up next to me on the chair and curled up. Yo stretched and refound his spot at the hearth. Nuka was already asleep. Oso took a long drink of water. Quinn followed Steve as he paced. Puff looked game for a chase but when everyone else lost interest, she, too, curled up in a cool spot. "Let the rodent have the hot sunny place on the wall," she muttered. "It is cool, comfortable, and nearly treat time here."

8 comments:

meowmeowmans said...

Squirrels are so ubiquitous that I am always surprised to learn of a place that does not have them. I wonder how the one on your wall came to be there?

Brian's Home Blog said...

Maybe one of our squirrels decided to vacation out your way!

nancyturtle said...

My pups go flying out the dog door every time they hear the loud chirping of our ground squirrels. They are obsessed with them! They look just like your little visitor and seem to live in underground burrows along the arroyo.

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

S-Q-U-I-R-R-E-L!!! Get 'em!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We rarely see squirrels in our yard - trees are too small - but they are along the trail. For now, the WDA is making the right choice, but when it gets cooler, don't let that fella move his family in:)

Woos - Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

Tweedles -- that's me said...

I sometime see squirrels in our trees. I wonder if they are friends with your squirrels.
love
tweedles

Sally Ann and Andy said...

Wow, we have loads and loads of them here. We don't like them, and then we try chase them up the trees.
Your beloved,
Andy Stanley

Angel Ginger Jasper said...

Wow I wonder where it came from. A mystery for sure. Mum really likes squirrels and thinks they are cute. Wonder if yours will stay a while.. Hugs GJ x