4.30.2014

April 29, 2014

White Dog and Steve, since my tumble a few days ago have been focused on making sure that I will have lots of tools at my disposal should I ever again find myself in need. "Don't say 'next time', momma," WD said, "because hopefully there will never be a next time."

Steve and Taiko, under WD's supervision have carefully taped the cords for the phone cradles along the objects that hold them so that I will always be able to quickly reach behind and grab the cord to yank the phone down if needed. Puff and her dad are comparing the benefits of different Alert Calling Systems to decide which might best suit my needs. I have tried to be more diligent in remembering to put my cell phone in my pocket and to leave a cordless handset on the coffee table.

YoYoMa and Bella came to me with the great idea of getting a baby stroller small enough to use inside the house to hold and move Oso around. It would remove my need to stoop and pick him up. Oso sort of balked at the idea at first but they explained that it could be his own little limo complete with comfy pillows and a higher viewing vantage. I would have a handle and a balanced distribution of his weight to add to my safety. Besides, they added it would only be necessary for those times when I am home without any other humans to lend a hand should our Little Man get into a jam.

White Dog is proving to be a wonderful student in our "Get The Phone" training. Although we have only had three days of practice, already she can correctly find and go to the house phone more than half the time with the simple command, "Find the phone!" Granted we are still working with the handset in pretty obvious locations but they are NOT the usual spot the phone is found so I am confident that she is making a connection with the word concept and the object. With the phone in its charging stand WD is accurate nearly 100% of the time. Bella has shown some interest in the training and often follows White Dog on her "mission." If our Tiny Dancer wasn't still so skittish and fearful of strange occurences, she might be an excellent backup...perhaps in time. YoYoMa so wants to be a part of this game but until just today I feared his blindness would eliminate his participation.

"What if," I thought, thinking of the marvelous herbal things I learned over the weekend, I could figure out a way for the hand sets to be scented (maybe some kind of sanitizer) THEN my bright but challenged boy COULD be a help. So now I am trying to work out this addition to our training.

The bruises are in full bloom colorwise but I am fine enough to be feeling a little foolish...but also excited at this opportunity to grow the skills of The White Dog Army. The key is not to not fall but rather to always get back up and learn something from the experience.

5 comments:

Angel Ginger Jasper said...

Oh Sue I am so remiss and hadn't seen that you had taken a tumble. I am sorry and I hope you are feeling a lot better now. A call alert is something to consider and I can say first hand that in the UK it works fabulously as that is my job to answer the calls . It sounds as though White dog is being a great help to you. All the suggestions sound good. Once again I am sorry I didn't see what happened and I wish you a speedy recovery. I am sorry not to get the opertunity to meet you all next week but I do understand and it will happen one day I am sure. Take care dear friend x

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Always good to have several options in place. We bet that WD will be at the ready with the phone IF it is ever needed. Great idea to do that training.

Woos - Phantom, Ciara, and Lightning

Random Felines said...

we are sorry the bruises caught up, but glad the game of "help the mom" is getting some traction

Brian's Home Blog said...

We sure hope you are all better soon. I know you will figure out the phone handset thing, maybe the white ones need a paws free device!

Sagira said...

No more next times....but it is good to have a plan just to be safe. Now that you have a plan it will not happen, right? :)