4.30.2017

April 30, 2017

White Dog was all smiles and wags as Pearl stopped every three steps to shake out the excess moisture from her bath. "This is one of those moments, isn't it momma, when there is a small leap forward in becoming?" I nodded with tears in my eyes.

Pearl led the rocky life of a mill breeder dog and nearly died from the lack of vet care when she went septic from a necrified litter. Instead of treatment, she was put up for auction. She was rescued and recovered but has been always wary of human interactions.

On good days, she will allow Steve to pet and even gently brush her. she will politely accept treats. But she does not cuddle or ask for attention. And she keeps her distance. The slightest out of the ordinary noise or routine sends her rushing out of the dog door.

We try very hard not to push her envelop but the time had come for a bath and nail trim. Steve calmly sat next to her on the Watching Chair and spoke softly as he clipped a leash on her collar. He explained that they were going on an "inside" walk...to the bathtub...and that the experience would be pleasant. She amazed us by trustingly following. When the door closed the rest of us strained to hear sounds of stress or attempts at wild escape; the Army was very nervous for her.

There were only two leaps out of the tub and then the door opened to a soaking Steve carrying a dripping suddenly VERY White Dog. He placed her in my waiting towel swaddled arms and I wrapped her quickly and held her tight. I expected her to buck and push to get away (I had tucked the lead she still wore under my leg).

She seemed resigned to being captive at first but I felt her slowly relax in my arms. She was surrendering her anxiety to my soothing words, warmth, and the wrap of warm towels. Steve fished one foot at a time from our bundle and quickly trimmed nails; there was only the most mild of protest.

Pearl sat calmly in my arms and let me blot her furs and clean her ears. She was not exactly licking my face but this was the longest time I had held her...EVER.

I opened the towels when she started to squirm and she jumped down. I was surprised when she chose not to run and hide in the yard but to head into the living room, the rest of the WDA, and "her" Watching Chair.

Yep. It was one of "those" moments. One that fills the soul.

3 comments:

TwoSpecialWires said...

All in her own time, she is becoming. Just as your love and patience allow and encourage. Thank you. xxxxx

Random Felines said...

awww - mom's heart just melted a little. it is so amazing to see how far these dogs can come with love and patience

24 Paws of Love said...

What a wonderful experience it must have been for Pearl as well. So touching.