3.16.2018

March 15, 2018

White Dog led the Army into the bedroom to ring in my birthday morning. The group was not as raucous as I expected them to be; all gathered to give gentle kisses and lean in for hugs and kisses from me. There was a pinging at the window.

"Oh momma," WD said as she cuddled against me on my pillow. "This is NOT the day we ordered to celebrate you! It is dark and dreary and it is hailing. We wanted beautiful sunshine and a soft breeze that smelled like Spring, not snapping winds that smell like molding leaves."

I sat up and put my feet on the ground as I pulled as many of the WDA as I could hold into my arms. "My loves, this is a day that can withstand anything. We are together. Don't be glum. Let's go put on some gentle soothing music, how about Enya, and have breakfast. Bacon always makes everything seem better, doesn't it?"

 Over a slow enjoyable meal, a plan evolved that centered around cocooning, cooking, and companionship. We were slightly cheered but the pack still had a sense of foreboding that painted everything with a grey haze.

And then we learned Deb was in the hospital after having a stroke. She had no serious damage (thankfully) and it was not her dominant side affected but she was clearly shaken. Her best friend had Deb's pups at her house and Deb was hoping her hospital stay would be brief.

"There is a little reminder of mortality that seems so wrong on a birthday," Pearl said darkly. "She seems like she will recover and the shock will pass," I said.

To brighten the day, White Dog and Steve pulled out my ancient recipe box. Within were the directions for my favorite cake of all time: six thinly layers of white chocolate with dark choc flecks; between the layers slathered dark chocolate ganache and alternating layers of raspberry and apricot jam. It is divine. "But guys, you cannot eat this cake with the chocolate," I pointed out. "Don't worry," WD responded. "Dad and I are going to make extra batter without the dark chocolate and make cupcakes for us. We will put jam in each." Everyone thought that was an excellent plan and that it would create the perfect ending to the scallops, shrimp, and mussels gratin being planned for dinner.
the theory

Before cooking commenced the Army asked to see momma baby photos. Steve had stealthily already dragged the albums from the basement so all gathered around to comment on my puppy photos and to politely try not to giggle. 

Then the cake batter was prepared and put in the oven. Well before the layers were due to be done, the WDA supervisors got restless and the room began to smell like something was burning. Steve rushed to the oven and pulled out cakes burnt beyond help on the bottom and sides but still gooey in the middle. "DAMN!" was the universal response. It turns out the temperature regulator on our oven chose this day's special mission on which to fail. WD was near tears.

The entire group seemed defeated.

"OK, you all think this is the worse birthday ever," I told them. "But here is a message from the birthday girl. I think the niggling demons are a reminder that life and love is about BOTH good and bad moments. A burnt cake and bad weather are such minor things if you think about it. How lucky are we--am I--that we have such a caring family who can come from all parts of the country with all kinds of backgrounds to meld together into the awesome White Dog Army?

"A fancy dinner is always nice and your planning much appreciated. One of my favorite things are long leisurely afternoons together, cooking and sharing the tasks. I know when we fix the oven and can cook again it will be delicious. But we have options and warmth on this yucky day; many do not.

"Each of you is a blessing and a gift beyond anything you can wrap in paper and tie a bow upon. So let's celebrate despite the misfortune. We can order dinner from Orchid Thai...you all LOVE the fish cakes and meatballs with peanut sauce. And coconut milk curry. AND we have ice cream which will be wonderful with a dab of apricot and raspberry jams.

"Happy Birthday to me, my loves!  Thank you all."

2 comments:

TimberLove said...

Happy birthday to wooooo!

Nuk & Timber

Brian's Home Blog said...

Sorry I'm late, Happy Birthday from all of us!!!