5.19.2018

May 18, 2018

White Dog understood just how significant this moment was. Bless my girl and our connection.

I was having a rough afternoon as we approached Sachi's Gotcha Day this weekend. His loss is still hard and raw. Across the day, the White Dog Army came up to me at work and offered extra love. Their sensitivity was an anchor I could cling to.

At one point a small head bump against my leg called for my attention. I dropped my hand next to me as I finished the thought I was typing and stroked smooth, silky furs.

I did not recognize by touch who was there and I looked down. The moment was one I would have gladly frozen for a hundred years. I have waited SO LONG to run my fingers through Pearl's coat and stroke her side. Long ago I stopped expecting or feeling disappointed; leaving Pearly to travel her transition at her own rate.

Three years after joining the WDA, Pearl was there, beneath my hand, willingly offering herself to my touch. I almost pulled back out of not wanting to appear too eager but she met my eyes with a genuine honest invitation. She pressed her head against me. It was an incredible gift.

She stood next to me for a long time in Pearl intervals. Then she moved a few steps and curled up on the mat next to me.

Sometimes there are no words. I smiled at her. "Thank you. I love you."

She may never allow such intimacy again or maybe we broke through some barrier and this will become our new normal, I do not know. But it filled my soul to overbrimming.

When I looked over at her a bit later, her eyes were closed and she slept.

2 comments:

Random Felines said...

What a special moment....

meowmeowmans said...

Wow, that's beautiful and amazing. Well done, sweet Pearl. You knew exactly what Momma needed, didn't you?