8.19.2018

August 18, 2018

White Dog rounded up the Army. "Momma and dad are home with us almost ALL weekend," she told them. "We are going to catch up on some much needed grooming...starting with nail trims. No complaining. It is for your own good. To set an example, dad clipped my paws after my bath...see?" She put forth her dainty paw.

Zsofia bolted for the door.

"Well, Bai? You have owl toes and your nails leave dents when you stand on momma's feet." To her credit, Bailey hopped up on the bed and stretched out against my side but when Steve touched her toesies, my casual petting of her side became a wrestling match to hold her down in position. The drama of her heavy panting and pitiful woos brought the others INTO the room to make sure she was not being mistreated.
She survived but would not speak to me even after "You were SO brave" treats.

Steve was able to grab Bella and lift her into his arms before she could make her escape. Thankfully her 15 pounds fit wrapped in my arms. She buried her face against my shoulder and stoically endured the torture. Then took her reward and hid under the chair.
Nilla let me put my arm between her front legs, hold her backside with my other hand, and restrain her head by leaning my chin over her neck and face. She clacked her teeth (Nilla's form of being severely threatening, it sounds like those windup toy dentures) but did not resist Steve's attentions.  Her slightly bloody nail (the next to last one) made Steve feel guilty for cutting too close; she accepted extra treats as a form of penance before curling up to nap.

Pearl was the final candidate for the day. She was nervous and hyper which rattled Steve's confidence after nicking Nilla. And I gained no points of favor as I held her tightly, restraining her movements and preventing her escape. But she needed the trim; her dew claws were VERY long...this was a fact that did not gentle her smoking look as she took her cookie and headed back to the watching chair.

"We are more than halfway, babies. The rest of you lucked out TODAY, but everyone will get trims no excuses. Let's take a break and finish up next weekend."

No comments: