10.16.2018

October 15, 2018

White Dog and the rest of the White Dog Army made their way through the dog door for begin the day necessary breaks. From my spot snuggled deep in the covers, it seemed the trips were shorter than normal. Then I stuck my arms out to give good morning greetings and immediately understood. It was COLD...not chilly or breezy...COLD, like winter.

I timed my rising to the sound of the furnace kicking in and dashed to the bathroom. The tiny room has a heating vent positioned to provide warmth to the vulnerable occupant. I did not get the benefit of much blowing air...the room was filled with the white floofy insulation of five white dogs and there was an overflow at the door. We all appreciated the blast of heat.

"What the heck happened overnight," White Dog complained. "Thank dog, dad set the furnace up over the weekend," Nilla said gratefully. "I know, Nils," I told her. "Maybe you are going to need a sweater this year with so much fur missing. I do not want you to get chilled."

"PLEASE can we have oatmeal for breakfast," Bella begged. "Nice creamy WARM oatmeal will feel good." All eyes turned to Steve who agreed if we promised to eat quickly...it was a work day.

Bailey was our stalwart one with her thick coat and protective nature; she took up position as the front door stop to block any drafts seeping in from the bottom of the entry.

As we shared coffee and oatmeal, Zso came in from the yard. Her back was cold and she happily lapped her coffee. Roman's footsies needed massage to bring them back to room temperature. Plus it was grey and threatening. "Looks like the only thing today is going to be good for is napping," White Dog yawned. "That and maybe a slow cooked roast or stew for dinner. You know, winter food," Tiz hinted.

Pearl pulled her blanket so that she could still watch at the window "in case there was any sign of the sun's return." When Opal saw Steve to the door to leave for work, he charged her with "keeping momma's feet warm." It was a job she took seriously as she curled up on the bottom of my blanket.

"Sweet Ones," I reminded them as I looked around the room, "this cold snap is supposed to last all week but it is only the beginning of the season to come. What are you going to do in January?"

Sleepy eyes turned toward me. "What is wrong with doing this?" White Dog wanted to know.

No comments: