3.16.2019

March 16, 2019

White Dog and the rest of the White Dog Army gathered around. "I need to ask a HUGE favor of all of you but especially of Roman and Tizenegy," I told them. They focused on what I was saying and waited.

"Tomorrow early we are going to have visitors." Tails wagged. "Our friends will be heading to the airport to embark on a medical challenge that will keep them from home for months. They may, in fact, never return. They have asked if they can stop by and share a quick meal and love. I need to see them and hug them and would like you to wrap them in White Dog healing energies." Heads were nodding and eyes were wet with understanding.

"There is a complication. Growler, their Jack Russell terrier, will be travelling as well. He will visit our home with them." A bit of nervous shifting began. "I know those little guys can be fidgety and curious. Growler is a good boy but he does not have a fur family so I am not sure how good his manners are. But I do not want our friends to leave him in his carrier in the car. They will only visit for a bit over an hour. This is where a special sacrifice is needed from Tiz and Roman...and I would not ask if I could think of another solution." My heart ached to even ask such a favor of our boys who struggle so hard just in normal circumstances.

The plan was for Tizenegy to go on his timeout tether in the office and wear a muzzle...and for Roman to go into his sleeping crate in the bedroom (where he feels safest and is furthest from the activity. He would wear his muzzle and be given a calming pill as much to control his stress as to protect from ugliness. We were confident that potential male machismo problems would be avoided this way. We knew the girls would just take his Little Manness in stride and set boundaries without going overboard. Growler would get a bit of freedom after the drive from Santa Fe and before the long flight.

I took Roman's face in my hands. "I am asking a lot, I know. And I am not willing to risk setting you back or stressing you beyond your abilities. And I won't be disappointed if you just do not think you are ready." Roman closed his eyes then licked my hand. When he peered back into my face and rested his head against me I could sense his devotion and effort. "No matter what, you are the best," I told him.

Growler and his family pulled into the drive. As they exited the car, Steve put Roman into his crate with treats then tethered and treated Tizenegy. Both sang in the WDA song of welcome. Growler sat, leashed until the Army was satisfied and then was unclipped. Turns out Bella and Opal were his tour guides. Bailey and Zso made sure as hostesses that treats were offered...and that NO pup was forgotten.

Roman was beyond awesome. He sat quietly in his kennel even when Growler and Bella passed him on their way through the dog door. Tiz set a boundary at the office door and Growler took the hint. The relief was immense that our bittersweet breakfast went without hitch.

I expected backlash once they left and the boys were allowed back to normalness. But Tizenegy did not even express his displeasure by marking. He DID check to make sure Growler had not touched his food bowl and was pleasantly surprised that the good boy wizard had left a thank you treat for him.

Roman sniffed a bit and made sure Growler was gone. Then he calmly curled up next to Steve as he washed dishes in the kitchen.

I saw Steve slip our Very Good Boy a bit of leftover quiche as a reward. "Thank you, Bud," he told our healing boy, "we won't ask you to do that again anytime soon. But you made momma's heart sing with your efforts. I am SO proud of you."

2 comments:

Random Felines said...

Good job boys....so proud of you

meowmeowmans said...

We're so proud of you, Roman and Tiz. :)