3.19.2019

March 18, 2019

White Dog sat with me. "It makes me so proud," she said, "that our Army is such a strong and loving family." I stroked her ears and agreed. "I have great hope when I see Roman's progress." "It IS soul filling to see," she said, "and I think you are missing another sign of progress from another member of our pack."  I raised an eyebrow.

"Pearl has been slow to surrender to totally trusting you, momma. I know sometimes it distresses you that she lets dad pet and touch her and she only comes close enough to take treats from you before darting away. But a change is happening right under your nose.

"Our Watcher, the Girl who spent all afternoon in the past on the window chair watching the neighborhood and waiting for dad, is developing a new routine. Have you noticed? It is pretty wonderful. And a gesture of wanting to be by you. She follows you when you go to the office to work."

I followed WD's nod toward the red bed in the office...where Pearly was stretched out, soundly sleeping. She was a foot away from me, at peace, and clearly had chosen to come in and join me.

"She has been doing that for increasingly longer stretches for almost two weeks now. I believe it is her way building her trust. Remember when Puff first came to us? It took her a long time to let you even look at her without bolting. And the advice to just ignore her and let her come to you worked, didn't it? I think Pearl is just like that except you have done it without thinking.

"After more than two years she is almost ready for you to start recognizing her presence without pushing. Maybe just let your hand dangle when she is watching you. She wants what the rest of us have with you but she carries lots of fear of people. To stretch her world to include more than just trusting dad is not easy. Continue to be patient, recognize that she is moving closer and the day will come soon when she will push her head under your hand so you can scratch her ears.   Celebrate the progress."
I smiled at Pearl who had shifted so that she was facing me content and angelic in her sleep; then I looked at the tribute wall above her when Puff looked down. It was she to whom I spoke, "thank you for your tender guidance, Sweet Puff."
Puff is at the upper right.


No comments: