June 18, 2019

White Dog, Dr. Julia, and I began the discussion weeks ago. We knew it was time for Roman to see our vet for a checkup but we wanted to insure it was not a traumatic painful scarring experience for our reactive boy. How could we lessen his fear of other dogs, new environments, being handled while at the same time doing a thorough exam and treatment?

We decided that if Roman was going to go in that we would devise a one-stop for everything plan that sedated him and maximized our opportunities for health.

Updated X-rays and exam of his rear unused leg would give us a look at the deterioration, if  any, and establish a new baseline. Asleep Roman could be maneuvered and range of motion could be assessed.

Blood will be drawn for a complete workup that will address his Lyme Disease and critical levels of organs affected by continued antibiotic use.

Roman will be given a complete grooming including nails and ears...he is impatient with being touched; asleep he can be detangled, trimmed up, and his skin can be closely checked (it is an area that seemingly bothers him as part of his Lyme symptoms).

And, since Roman would be sedated, we would do a dental.

Gently I began alluding to the upcoming event with My Boy. I told him that it would be a bit scary. I told him he WOULD be coming tome, to safety, and that the trip was necessary for his health. I to9ld him that he would not be hurt.

Dr. Julia prescribed a pair of tranquilizers to be given in the morning before Steve brought Roman in. He was relaxed enough that he needed help out to the car when they left. Cindy promised to be there to personally oversee getting him settled away from others and the noise, getting the IV set. She has reactive dogs of her own and understands well the balance that must be maintained.

I held Roman's face on both sides of his muzzle and looked deep into his eyes. " Momma is with you," I told him. "Feel me next to you. Trust me and my promise to keep you safe." Off they went.

Midday, they called to tell us Roman was in recovery coming out of anesthesia and would be ready to go home at 5pm. All had gone well and Roman was relatively relaxed.

Dr. Julia's summary to Steve was good news in that the dental was just a cleaning, no extractions. Blood work was drawn and set out for an extended panel to look at the essentials, his Lyme, heartworm, and values potentially affected by his constant medicines.  She was again amazed at how straight all of the tiny bone pieces beneath Roman's knee had knit back together on his useless leg. She cautioned it was like a reassembled Chinese vase that was fused together but not necessarily strong; it could be broken easily. Fortunately Roman uses the foot only as a stabilizer, but should something happen, she warned that we would have to take the leg.

Roman was beautifully groomed and mat-free. But in detangling a series of hot spots had been uncovered. This might account for his tenderness to the brush. Now, on a second antibiotic for the short-term, our healer hopes to clear up the issue so he can once again enjoy being petted.

I was worried what the day would extract in terms of Roman's PTSD and Steve carefully brought him in and crated him so he would not be inundated by curious siblings. We talked and he watched normal life for a bit before asking to join us.

I held his face and congratulated him on his bravery and good report. "It is done now, my boy. Thank you for pushing your limits and trusting. I have saved your jerky for you." For that, he was VERY grateful.


meowmeowmans said...

Well done, Roman. You did great, pal, and we are so proud of you!

Random Felines said...

round of applause to all of you. it is great to have a vet willing to accommodate those pets that sometimes need a little something extra