9.13.2019

September 13, 2019

White Dog calls her "everyone's surrogate mom" because Opal is the one who sniffs faces after sneezes, calms nervous or upset siblings, and is momma's unwavering caregiver. With the exception of having iffy potty manners and a penchant for shredding tissue, Opal strives to please.

Bailey was mid-exit from the bedroom with a stuffy when Steve returned home. The stuffy was dropped as she ran to be part of the greeting...right in front of my feet. "Bailey," I called, "you cannot leave that here. You block my way. Come take your toy."

I figured Steve would pick it up when he came in to say "hello." I am not even sure I was heard in the living room over the Song of Welcome. And I was pretty certain Bai would not return to clean up after herself.

But I was heard...by Opal...and my girl came trotting in to check on me. "Your sister left her toy right in my way," I complained.

Opal sat and leaned against me. "You and White Dog are the only ones who put your toys away," I said stroking her. Opal is very careful about corralling her toys in the crate or back by the toybox when she is finished with them; she is very conscientious about picking up and moving stuffies left unattended and clearing the way. She was never taught this but seems to understand. "If only Bailey and the others were as responsible and clever as you are."

She left me for the living room and I thought to get dad pets but she came right back in (perhaps she was letting Bailey know her toy would be moved). Opal snatched up the stuffie Bailey had left at my feet and carried it to the crate. .

Then she beamed and wagged for my appreciation. I was free!

1 comment:

meowmeowmans said...

Opal, what a considerate and thoughtful girl you are. Thank you for helping Mom Sue like that. XO