4.13.2023

April 13, 2023

Since before the pandemic began, I have worked from home, connected to the office by computer and cell phone. A lessening of restrictions means that some meetings are being conducted in person and that I make the trip to the office.


Leaving the house is a complicated ritual. I must explain to the White Dog Army where I am going, the reason for leaving, and give the time of my return. Each pup gives a sniff and receives a pet as I move toward the door. Once the house door is opened the Army surges onto the sunporch. Much merriment ensues as I wave them back into the house. The WDA strategy is to attempt to keep one pup on the porch for each one sent back inside. As the game progresses, I pull the front door closed slightly more until the Army is inside, noses pressed against the door, and a song of sadness fills the neighborhood. I can then open the front door and head out to the car. All faces shift to the windows and compete to look the most pathetic while I back down the driveway.

My return is sensed even before the car is near the house. Usually Opal or Roman sound the "He's Back!" alert to draw the Army to the front door. The time is noted and compared to what they expected. Diva leaps up and down attempting, I think, to turn the doorknob so that she can be first to greet me. Opal and Zsofia run back and forth between the front windows to indicate that I am here (as if their uproar in the living room is not warning enough).

You can track my progress from the car to inside of the house by the increased frenzy. Seldom do I need to say, "I am home!". I come into the house, wrapped in the Army who swarm over me for a group welcome...and hopeful faces suggest that maybe I have brought treats home with me...you know, like a vacation souvenir.



3 comments:

24 Paws of Love said...

Awww...I remember those days! Especially those pathetic looking faces. ♥ Oh the reward of coming home to a house full of dogs. Treasures!

Anonymous said...


Nice job! Totally cracked me up!!!
Steve, you are doing so well, I'm impressed.
I can only imagine how hard this has been.
Take care & stay safe,
Lucy (Troy, Ohio)

meowmeowmans said...

This is so sweet. The WDA is all about the love, and the rituals that accompany your coming and going certainly illustrate that. XO