6.02.2018

June 1, 2018

White Dog was shaking in my arms. It was a good thing that instantly Roman knew he had WAY overstepped a boundary line and had made a dash to the dog door. He was now hiding in the yard.

I wrapped The Little White Dog of My Heart close to me and softly hummed a soothing bit as I struggled to not telegraph my anger or residual fear.

White Dog has never been comfortable with dog conversations that involve having her backside sniffed. She doesn't like it and moves away; persistence gets a warning growl. That is usually enough.

Roman has had a stellar week. He was making great progress in keeping his reactiveness under control. In fact, midweek, he earned a WDA standing ovation when he followed his training and did not react to Tizenegy's push during meal prep. Little steps but in a positive direction.

Roman went over to where WD was standing and put his muzzled face under her tail. She turned around in a gesture of "no." He persisted, moving behind her again. She growled.

The next moment Roman had grabbed my Baby Girl, rolled her on her back and was in attack mode. Thank dog he was wearing a muzzle or she would have been hurt in the seconds it took me to rush across the room and harshly yank him off. My tone and action broke his focus. He ran out and WD hid behind the chairs where she refused to come out.

Fortunately, Steve was already on his way home and he lifted WD out and placed her in my arms. Roman was already sitting contritely at my feet, leashed; Steve put him in his crate and locked it. "Time out, Buddy! And this is going to be a long one! You really made a wrong choice. Think about it."

I soothed WD and we checked her over. She was slimed a bit and shaken but, thankfully, appeared unharmed. "I just do not understand," I told Steve. "He does so well for days and then totally randomly goes off. I cannot see a pattern so I don't get a warning."

We have avoided using drugs in our behavior modification. I reached for the phone and called Dr. Julia. She has explained that we could as part of our work with Roman use Prosac temporarily along with his behavior modification and ease off of it over time as he learned and changed.

I told her about the week and what had just happened. "Let's try the Prosac," I told her. "Maybe it will take the spontaneous edge off. I do not want the others to be afraid." Steve ran over to her office and picked up the medication.

White Dog, we had decided, would have her own night-night walk. She normally walks with Tiz and Roman. But My Girl amazed us by insisting on the usual routine. She rushed out to the porch and stood next to her brother while Steve harnessed and leashed the trio. White Dog is brave and her leadership skills are truly those of a compassionate Queen.

After, I held Roman's face in my hands. "Buddy, we must figure out how to control your rage. The pills might help but I do not want you to be drugged forever. I believe you can do this. And by the way, tonight when you say your prayers, be sure to thank god for White Dog, she is one of your greatest champions."

2 comments:

Random Felines said...

How scary. But know we have so much faith in all of you...being in rescue we know that he might not have the same chances in another setting. Hopefully meds can take the edge off

meowmeowmans said...

We're always sad to hear about these setbacks, but like Jeanne, we have infinite faith in you. The WDA always figures out a way, with love and persistence. Much love to you all.