9.25.2018

September 25, 2018

White Dog sat on my lap while we speaker phoned with Nilla, Steve and Dr. Julia at her office. I was not able to attend and this allowed me to participate in Nilla's overdue surgical "all clear" and to address her continuing skin issues.

All agreed that the sutures had healed nicely and that the tumor was no longer an item to be concerned about. Her skin on the other hand...

Steve relayed to Dr. Julia that Nils was not off of antibiotics (for the surgery) more than three days before her skin and furs were back to being red, rough and clumps of hair were falling out. "Well, let's go back on the meds," Dr. Julia said. "Can we chose another that the one she was on?" I asked. "That one seemed to upset her system. She does well on Clindamycin and it works for her." "Well, then lets do that. Do you have any or shall I have some put together for you?"

Dr. Julia sat and thoughtfully looked through her notes in Nilla's file. White Dog squirmed in the silence; she whispered to me, "ask if Nilla needs different food."

I asked the question to those in the exam room. "She is on a fish-based diet, right? Gets a probiotic and fish oil as well?" "Yep, and we have taken all of the WDA off of chicken," Steve told her. "Fish is good and the oil especially will help soothe the skin." Dr. Julia said. "Don't change diet."

Our vet leaned over Nilla, WD could tell from the sounds coming through the phone. "I am thinking this elder lady is starting to have some decline in her adrenal function. Her numbers were in the low normal range when we did a blood panel earlier in the year but she is of the age when things start to slow down. Let's add an adrenal boost supplement to her meals and maybe add a bit more protein to her mix and recheck in two weeks to see if there are any obvious changes. If not we will draw blood and see where the numbers are." I heard her move closer to Steve's phone so I could hear her. "And Sue, let's see what two weeks brings. Turn off your momma worry."

White Dog snorted, "As if.." 

"You know," I responded, "there is not a harder task for a momma than to not worry, but I will try."

2 comments:

Random Felines said...

Dr Julia is a rockstar

meowmeowmans said...

We are so glad that Dr. Julia is so in touch with the WDA and you all. She will help you figure this all out!