12.13.2018

December 13, 2018

White Dog shook her head. "To quote Tina Turner, 'You see we never ever do nothing Nice and easy.'"


Dr. Julia and I had just gotten off of the phone. The bacterial panel of Nilla's test was back and the news was that our girl had tough antibiotic-resistant Staph Mercer. "There are really only two antibiotics that will work," Dr. Julia said. "One I won't use on your girl because of the hazards and side effects. The other is pretty strong and is injectable. It is called Amikacin. It must be given daily and I can show you and Steve how to give it."

"Sounds pretty serious," I said. She replied, "It is because of its resistance this infection needs such powerful response. But it IS effective. Seems like the infection is deep according to the report so we will get started right away and give the drug until after Christmas to do its work. 

"Of course, Nilla will likely sleep a little more than usual but if she stops eating or has other issues, you know the routine, we will immediately reassess. And I am still waiting on the fungal report; hopefully we are not fighting TWO infections."

We agreed that Steve will stop at the office tomorrow to pick up the drug and supplies and to get a refresher on giving shots. "Oh, and I want you to be cautious as well. Staph infections can cross species and you have a delicate immune system..." "OK if I get any weird skin conditions I will call you first and then my doctor." I laughed. "How about the rest of the WDA?"  "Generally, this infection is not easily transmitted from dog to dog unless there is an open wound involved."

Echoing White Dog's thought, Dr. Julia ended with "you always know how to challenge me and keep me on my toes. But we manage to find the answers and that makes me feel good." 

1 comment:

Emma Megan said...

This diary is super useful. Keep up the good work. By the way, I really love to read about pets, then love to write about them & like to share those with the people who are interested. That’s why, I am doing this stuff. Thank you for sharing.