1.17.2019

January 17, 2019

Nilla at Dr. Julia's office, in gasp! a CAT exam room.
White Dog knew that secretly I was very concerned about Nilla's appointment with Dr. Julia this afternoon. We kept it light for the sake of not causing undo stress and worry; that it was just a followup.

Nilla has been dragging this week and is relying on bone broth and kibble slurry for nourishment. She is having a hard time walking. I thought I detected some congestion sporadically. I needed our healer's input.

Still homebound, I sent Steve off with Nilla, a list of observations/questions, and his promise to call me so I could be part of exam. He called to tell me that first thing they were drawing blood to check on the status of her staph infection.

Dr. Julia read through my list and began working her hands over my girl. The skin fungus seemed helped by the topical ointment but she was unhappy that NEW patches keep forming as old areas clear up. "When did this start?" she asked Steve referring to a new area under Nilla's chin. "AFTER the antibiotic injections started?" Steve replied it started last weekend and has grown quickly...and I confirmed. She sighed.

The bloodwork showed that the MRSA was reduced but still present. "Let's continue the injections," she directed. The blood panel also showed elevated kidney and pancreas numbers. "I do not like that," she said. "Can you bring her in tomorrow for a day of hydration? And while she is here I will do some x-rays of her lungs, her kidneys, and maybe her pancreas. I will call to keep Sue up-to-date but you can pick Nilla up at the end of the day. And we can decide if you will need to do subq fluids over the weekend." Nilla did not seem too excited at the idea of spending the day there where it smells strange and there is no piano music.

But Nilla is a trouper. And the WDA has made all involved promise there are no tricks; Nilla will be home when Steve comes home from work...just like a day at the office. At 19, I know Nilla faces some serious health challenges compounded by the dementia which is beginning to affect everyday functioning but like White Dog said in our private conversation, "trust our harmonious one will be clear when she wearies of the fight. Until then, we all must believe and shower her with support."

2 comments:

Random Felines said...

no matter the time, she is in good and loving hands

Sue Lunsford said...

Sweet Nilla, may Dr. Julia find just the right way to help you heal! Lots of love from the Wine Country Dogs.