3.09.2021

March 8, 2021

"White Dog," I told her, "I get it. Neither of us does Proud Mary nice and rough any longer. Dear dog, that would kill this momma; I get winded just watching Tina Turner doing it. But there is no shame in sitting on the edge of the deck and quietly drawing forth the emotion of My Way." I was trying to put the frustration I was feeling toward the Little White Dog of My Heart's refusal to eat more than four or five bites of anything, even her favorite foods, into a discussion that was soothing to both of us.

"Dr. Julia's tests indicate that you are not fighting illness and nothing is amiss metabolically. I would be saddened forever and feel incredibly guilty if you just starved yourself to death. I cannot even think why a person of your wisdom and soul strength would just surrender. Help me to understand so that I can help you."

White Dog looked at me. For a second pain flashed across he eyes. "Yes, Sweet Girl, the aches of old age can be harsh but we have ways to control that. I would never want you to hurt. In fact, I spoke with Dr. Julia today and we ae going to stop the appetite stimulant...it is not helping...and we are going to add some tramadol to the gabapentin and galliprant you currently take. Maybe you will feel more inclined to eat if you are not uncomfortable. Let's try this change in good faith; you must try your hardest to be cooperative. Dad will continue to attempt a varied menu that gives you tempting choices; your siblings are all very interested in some of those choices so maybe at least give them a taste and do not just turn away. PLEASE?" 


1 comment:

meowmeowmans said...

Please try your hardest to eat, sweet friend. We send purrs, prayers and light your way.