4.19.2021

April 18, 2021

White Dog sailed right past me, stepped over the gate threshold, and walked into the kitchen to remind Steve that dinner was late and that the cod smelled very inviting. The pulsing movement of WDA members jockeying for position and Steve' dance to multitask meal preparation frozen and jaws dropped.

White Dog had not visited the kitchen under her own power, especially when the room was crowded, for ages. The floor was too slippery, the threshold a tripper, and the effort was too strenuous.

When Dr. Julia and Steve suggested Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy I agreed figuring that The Little White Dog of My Heart might gain some slight mobility with less knuckling and at worst that it would do no real harm. As White Dog approaches her second treatment at the end of the month I am amazed at My Girl's recharged abilities and stamina. 

The original treatment produced enough enriched plasma that frozen blood exists for a booster treatment at the end of April and a final one the end of May. At that point White Dog should be good to go for a year or more. Her response to the concentration of her own blood's platelets and growth factors has her navigating the perimeter of the yard with a light in her eyes. She still needs help in the steps and even the ramp is a bit imposing but on level ground she gains confidence daily. This, in turn, has increased her appetite...while she is still very thin no longer do I fear she will "fail to thrive."

I have yet to convince Dr. Julia to work her magic on this momma but I certainly recommend asking about PRP Therapy for your dog is she is having mobility issues and surgery is not the best option...I believe it has added much to the quality of White Dog's life. 



No comments: