10.11.2021

October 10, 2021

White Dog's new favorite ritual involves snuggling in bed with Steve and I, watching a bit of telly, and nibbling bits of lemon crisp cookies from my fingers. It did not take long for the Sibe sisters to come calling bedside to check out the party. In the interest of being sisterly, White Dog requested another cookie be brought in and split between Zsofia and Bailey. Roman gets extra treats when he is locked in his kennel during tv time, so he just curls up and ignores us all. Opal usually sleeps in the hallway while the bedroom lights are still lit and I thought she was unaware of the lemon cookies...yesterday, I glanced over and saw her watching. "Sure, Opal, we have a sixth of a cookie for you!" She was delighted!

We finished cookies and an episode of Modern Love.  (White Dog prefers half hour shows; they are just long enough to lull her to near sleep). Carried WD to her bed then turned off the lights.

Sometime later, I was startled awake by a cold nose in my armpit. Opal had her head under the blankets and was snoofling along my body. I sat up to make sure she was OK and felt the stab of something under my leg. Reaching under I discovered a bit of cookie WD must have dropped.

"Is this what couldn't wait for morning?" I asked Opal in a whisper so as not to wake anyone else. She wrapped her lips around my fingers in the dark and gently took the crumb. She returned to her place across from me at the door and closed her eyes.

Of course I spent the next ten minutes feeling for other crumbs and trying to get back in sleep mode.



1 comment:

meowmeowmans said...

Ha ha. Well, that's certainly a way to NOT get a solid night's rest.