8.22.2022

August 21, 2022

 

Opal has always been my caregiver. She checks on me constantly as she goes through her day. It is only after years that she leaves my side to play with the others, protect the front door, or sit on the deck...and still she is most comfortable if she can at least see me.

My Sparkling Girl has struggled since my accident to find a spot in the bedroom that allows her to not only be near me but also to make eye contact and have face-to-face conversation. Lying nearly constantly on my right side gives me a lovely view out of the windows and lets me use the bedstand on Steve's side to hold my new notebook while at the same time protecting my damaged parts.  However, it turns my back on Opal's usual lounging place next to the other side of the bed which where I not so long ago sat and used my desktop computer on its wheeled cart. 

No White Dog since YoYoMa ventured into the narrow slot between Steve's bedside and the outside wall; it was his regular sleeping place. The plank Steve put down to keep the bed in place as I struggle and swam around on it seems to be a deterrent. Just today Opal "discovered" the space, its proximity to me, and that we could see each other and chat at will. She imported a few toys to add her personal touch.

It feels good to be able to look away from the laptop to see my happily napping furry white caregiver.

2 comments:

24 Paws of Love said...

Awww...sweet Opal. So nice that you can each see each other now.

meowmeowmans said...

That is so beautiful, Opal and Mom Sue. XO