11.16.2010

November 16, 2010

White Dog put out a paw and stopped me as I started to push away the blanket wrapped around us both as we sat together reading in the chair. Those who foster or adopt rescues know that it takes months, sometimes longer, before their new family member truly starts to show his or her real personality. It must be a tremendous shift in thinking for those lucky enough to find forever homes to let down their guard and dare to be themselves. It takes time, and trust, and reassurance. But there is a moment, I think, very early on when adopter and adoptee both clearly get a sign that the right thing has happened.

As I followed White Dog's gaze to my feet, I experienced that magic. Nuka was curled up on the bottom of our blanket, laying on top of my feet, fast asleep. Trusting fully. Letting me see that her nervousness will fade. Revealing the beautiful swan our ugly duckling is. We sat very still, White Dog and I, careful not to disturb Another White Dog, a new one, who was perhaps dreaming of this new life and family.

10 comments:

Teddy Bear said...

We're so glad Nuka is settling in so comfortably.:)

Love,
Teddy Bear

Suka said...

hey WD, TOWD, and AWD,

What a pawsome story! Makes my heart flutter with happiness, because I remember that moment well with my own acceptance of my new human and new life. Nuka, I am so proud of you! You are a super brave pup! WD, you are very considerate and sweet to be so gentle and quiet this morning while AWD slept at the feet of your mom.

Sweet dreams to all!

Suka

Brian's Home Blog said...

That just makes me smile all over! Sweet dreams Nuka, all is well!

Kari in Alaska said...

Aww so glad she is starting to settle in

Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

Remington said...

I am so happy everything is going so well!

Mack said...

We LUV to hear of poochies getting great furrever homes! WoOt!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

This post just warms our hearts - pups KNOW when they are wanted and loved:)

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Sagira said...

Sounds like she is settling right in. :)

D.K. Wall said...

Nothing quite like watching a rescue realize that he/she now has a forever home.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Yep: MORE stuff to make us smile!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra