June 14, 2012

White Dog has learned to conquer her instinctive fear when Quinn, The Other White Dog, has a seizure. She immediately jumps into "nurse" mode and waits patiently at Quinn's side for clues or directions on how to help. WD has taught the others to give TOWD space and to lie quietly watching and lending White Dog Army support to a comrade in need.

It was about 3:30am when I heard him sort of stumble, pushing aainst things as he splayed out onto his belly. I was awake and sitting in the darkened living room unable to sleep myself, maybe somehow anticipating this event. White Dog, who had been asleep at my feet, sat up, alert, and we saw him together...at the hallway door. His eyes were open and unfocused, and he was twitching like his spine was a piano keyboard and the player was running a hand down the keys and back again. Even his tail moved from base to tip and then rippled back again. From a distance it looked like a dog dreaming of running but the movement was more frantic and jerkier.

White Dog body blocked YoYoMa who had awakened and was coming closer to investigate. He growled a question and WD made it clear he should SIT and STAY...he did. I was sitting at Quinn's side stroking and gently talking using his name. These are techniques we have read that help bring a pup "back" from a seizure. WD lay facing Quinn and rested her head on his front paw.

It only lasted a minute or two and then Quinn sort of looked up with a connection in his eyes. His body was calm; in fact, it was nearly limp. He was breathing heavily and I continued to run my fingers through his fur and caress his ears.

We were out of ice cream (the curse of living with a teenage boy) so WD and I decided the Mighty Quinn needed a strawberry smoothie made with frozen fruit and yogurt..slushy cold in its final form. I shared a bit with my capable assistant and with YoYoMa who was still in a sit/stay. TOWD lustily ate the freezy treat and then almost immediately went to sleep. YAWD followed suit, leaving WD and I as keepers of the watch until the dawn arrived and the birds sang.

We will be talking to Dr. Julia about this. I expect she will want to increase his Gabapentin which she attempted to do once but the dosage at that time proved too potent and Quinn was a bit too mellow. But now the time might have come. Quinn is up and about this morning, earlier than usual and fit as a fiddle. We are blessed that his seizures are infrequent but in some ways that makes it harder to medicate and manage.


Suka said...

hey WDA,

Poor Quinn! We are so sorry to read this. We, too, are glad his seizures are so far apart, but we would be much happier if they just stopped completely. Siku Marie, what a wonderful job you did as Nurse and protector of Quinn during his time of need. You are such a great big sisfur! And I bet your mom was so glad she was up and ready for Quinn when the seizure hit. I bet that made all the difference in the world to Quinn.

We hope Dr. Julia has a good solution for Quinn. In the meantime, our thoughts and prayers are with you Quinn, and my paws are crossed that your seizures leave you alone for good.

Suka (and K)

Jo's World said...

Our feelings are the same as Suka's well written thoughts. I have never been around a dog who had seizures regularly and it seems you and the Army know the drill now. Blessings on you all.

Jo, Stella and Zkhat

Brian said...

We all send our best purrs to Quinn and I am so glad you are getting some alternate techniques to help. Such a good WD family to help and show their love.

Kari in Vegas said...

oh Quinn. We are sending love

Stop on by for a visit

Amber DaWeenie said...

Our beloved April had seizures until she was put on Phenobarbital. The seizures stopped and she was seizure free for over 3 years. But the Phenobarbital destroyed her liver which eventually took her life. Her blood was tested every 6 months throughout her time on medication and it always came back normal...until the very last time. She was gone in just 11 days.

Glad to hear that Quinn's seizures are infrequent. But they're still very scary for both humans and the other dogs. Glad to hear that WD takes over!

Have a nice weekend.

Sally Ann and Andy said...

We are so sorry that Quinn had a fit. Our sister Sylvie had fits, and she took Phenobarb and KBr. The Phenobarb did damage her liver, but it also brought her eleven extra years of life. Sylvie was eventually weaned off of Phenobarb to KBr. I think Sylvie might have had some sort of blood sugar issue. If I gave Sylvie some diabitic glucose during the fit, she then would be ok. She could even walk! That was very very very good for her. Before the sugar given during the fit, she would throw up after the fit, and then be ok; but, she couldn't walk for at least 30 minutes after the fit. With the instant glucose, she recovered very quickly.
Please give Quinn a big piece of duck jerky for us.
Sally Ann and Andy

Nola said...

Suka said it well. Poor Quinn!

Siku Marie, White Dog said...

Thanks Amber and Sally Ann and Andy, both those drugs you mentioned are the next step up after the Gabapentin which was originally used to treat humans. The advantage of this drug is it can be adjusted up and down in dosage where the others are an upward curve. Dr. Julia hinks eventually Quinn will need Phenobarb but is reluctant to put him on it until his seizures are more frequent and more of this traditional type of seizure (he usually has more manic episodes without falling or twitching). Sly Ann, the ice cream, I think, is a variation of your mommy's use of sugar for Sylvie. There is evidence that something for the blood sugar AND something cold are useful in post seizure recovery. We so appreciate the support of those of you have lived through this...Thanks!

Random Felines said...

poor Quinn - but we are so glad the Army is there to care for him. :)

Tweedles -- that's me said...

I hope Quinn's seizure get under control soon- I know its scary for everyone,