|It started with soft gentle flakes midmorning.|
When the phone rang at 8pm and Steve announced that school had been cancelled for the evening, the WDA was overjoyed. I wasn't happy to learn that conditions were icy especially on the bridges. Steve decided to take the longer, slower local roads to get home but still had to cross one of four bridges that connected school on the other side of the Rio Grande with our side of town on the other. We were glad he was homeward bound but focused White Dog positive energy on his getting to us safely.
|A little more treacherous in the dark, the snow sent most home early and inside for the night. We whispered a silent prayer for those forced to be outdoors asking the universe to provide shelter from the cold and wet for those without a home.|
It DID take longer but when Steve pulled in the drive a half hour later, the WDA gathered at the door in elation. They had no arguments with his suggestion of early and quick walks before conditions got slicker or colder. In fact Puff and Nuka were content to go out on the front porch and then return.
Now we are safely inside where it is warm and secure. Cups of steaming chili in hand and pumpkin cookies for the pups feels cozy. The blinds are drawn against the cold and we are ready to cuddle. Michael knows to check in the morning to make sure school has not been cancelled before he heads into the cold and our California newcomers nervously know that most business go to a "delayed start" if early morning conditions are hazardous. So for now, we are going to ignore the weather and just enjoy the fact that Steve is home extra early.