The WDA spent the morning making homemade all-natural body balm and revitalizing spritzer to go into some surprise gift bags we made for the women's cancer support group. Our wonderfully talented friend, Nancy, made soft crocheted cancer caps in vibrant colors to go in the bags along with the earth-friendly potions and we added tiny plush dog talismans to provide pocket friends for stressful times. Every pup and Steve helped cut recycled paper into happy tags and add them to the handles of the bags.
Zsofia, Storm, Taiko, Skye and Daisy helped tend the garden and condition the straw bales which are nearly ready for planting. YoYoMa, Puff and Bella supervised the making of fishbone broth and weekly dog meals. WD supervised and Sachi guarded the house from the Watching chair.
Mother Nature must have liked our efforts because she smiled brilliant sunshine and whispered her appreciation in gentle breezes. We all enjoyed cool water under the shade of of our huge trees which shelter our sun porch from the hot afternoon glare.
While we sipped, we put together this list of earth friendly tips to share...
- How to treat vomit, urine, poop, blood, or other protein based Stain: Do NOT wash in warm water! Soak in cool water and then cool wash with an added mixture of 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide and 1/2 cup baking soda. Always treat from the back to avoid pushing stain deeper.
- Tick Repellent Recipe: 20 drops Lemongrass Essential Oil; 20 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil; 4 oz. Distilled Water. Add all ingredients to spray bottle...shake well! Safe for humans and dogs...spray on fur, shoes, socks, pants cuffs.
- Mix into your pup's food: 1/4 Tablespoon of Coconut oil for every 10 lbs of dog's weight to help clear up skin problems from allergies to dry skin; deodorize doggie odor; prevent yeast and fungal infections.
- Apple Cider Vinegar can be sprayed around your yard to help prevent fleas.
- 1/2 cup of white distilled vinegar can be added to your laundry to preserve colors, remove stiffness, soften clothes and even helps deter lint and static cling. You can even clean your washer by putting in 1 cup of white distilled vinegar and running an empty wash through the quick cycle!
- Fill a jar with citrus peels and pour undiluted white vinegar over them. Leave for a few days (up to 2 weeks) and strain out the vinegar to use as a natural cleaner. It works as a window cleaner (dilute with water), for mopping floors, or for disinfecting surfaces.
Please add your own Earth Friendly tips as comments, we love to learn more that will help us leave a smaller footprint and a better world.