12.07.2017

December 7, 2017

White Dog was pressed against my chest. If she could have embraced my heart with her paws she would have. Every single one of the others surrounded me forming a protective ring. They were there for me because they understand the needs of humans at times like these.

I held YoYoMa’s collar, wet from my tears and wept.

Twenty minutes, half an hour max, the time needed to topple an era. It is still too raw to understand but the WD also knows that I process best when I write.

YoYoMa was the last of the original White Dog Army that changed Siku’s, and our lives forever. The Little White Dog of My Heart began a special mission when she called Quinn, then Nuka, then Puff, then YoYoMa to us all within a matter of months. Yo, almost entirely blind, and from a horribly abusive situation became WD quiet Number One.  He was her exact age (now 13).

They have all crossed the Bridge as of today. The thought made me fill with fear and clutch White Dog to ward off my thoughts.

In the end my Warrior, my amazing tough, determined boy who loved silly jokes, coffee with heavy cream, and kisses on the nose, was brought down not directly by his IMHA. Rather, it was the ravages of the constant fight that wore his body down…his heart gave out.

As usual, he joined Steve and the others in the very early morning light in the yard for a bit of exercise and taking care of business. He was energetic and fine. Then he started to pant and fell down. Steve rushed him in and laid him next to me on the bed. I checked him over and gave him oxygen as he rested beside me. He was alert and attentive to his surroundings.  I called Dr. Julia’s office to tell them we would be bringing him in posthaste.

In the meanwhile Steve offered water and food. Yo refused both. Steve ran to dress.

“Don’t worry Baby Boy,” I told him. “We are going to see Dr. Julia. I kiss your nose. I will be with you.” I turned to also dress.

When I sat back on the bed to put on shoes, YoYoMa had flown away.

Now I look at the collar I am still holding. Yo has made his final car trip. The Original White Dog Army is now a legend, a legacy, a standard for all future recruits.


“I kiss your nose, YoYoMa.”
Taken in 2013 after Oso, also crossed, joined the WDA

9 comments:

TimberLove said...

The pack sends gentle woooooo, godspeed little mate, till we meet,

NukNuk & Family

TwoSpecialWires said...

Sending much love. At a loss for any other words. 😔

ThePainterPack said...

Soft woos from our little pack to yours. We are so very sorry. Love can never truly be taken away.

The Painter Pack

KB said...

Sending love. Such a huge loss. I'm so sorry.

Random Felines said...

We are so very heartbroken for all of you. There are just no words beyond thank you for making him a member of the WDA and showing him so much love. Purrs

Anonymous said...


Just wanted you all to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers on the passing of YoYoMa...I admire you all so very much cause I know what you give to all of the dogs you adopt; you give them a new life, a chance to be loved and know what love is. Every dog in your Army has been so blessed and YoYoMa went knowing that he was and has been very much loved.

Take care,
Lucy (Troy, Ohio)

24 Paws of Love said...

One of the originals. From our Paws to Yours, we feel your pain in the passing of YoYoMa. So terribly sorry for your loss.

meowmeowmans said...

We, too, are heartbroken to learn of sweet Yo's passing. What a blessing he was for you all, and what blessings you were for him for all these years. Please know we send you gentle purrs and prayers, much love, all good thoughts as you mourn the loss of your very special boy.

Jo's World said...

So very, very sorry that YoyoMa is on his way, I will miss him because I helped name him, you get just a tiny bit of ownership when you are privileged to do that.

Love to all of you,

Jo and the late Stella