3.11.2018

March 10, 2018

White Dog, unlike the rest of the Army, looked not at us in joyful greeting, but to see whether I was carrying anything.

One of WD's favorite special treats are paletas, a kind of creamy frozen fruit bar that is a traditional summer delight. Her favorites are coconut or pistachio; she has enjoyed them most of her life.

Apparently she and Steve knew that our favorite little spot for the treat has opened a shop at the National Hispanic Cultural Center where the performance of Festival Ballet's Sacred Journeys was performed. I was gifted with tickets from my family.

When we parked and I saw the ice cream shoppe, I immediately thought that take home would make an amazing "thank you" for the evening and mentioned we should stop after the dance to pick up favorite flavors. "White Dog was kind of hoping you might think of that," Steve smiled.

The music, dance, story performance was powerful and uplifting. I truly enjoyed the evening and was grateful for the opportunity to see it. However, when we rounded the corner in the parking lot, it was clear there would be no paletas...the shoppe was closed and dark. Turns out they only remain open through intermission.

"Damn!" I said. "I was so into the idea of surprising the Army." Steve said that they would understand; but it nagged at me.

"Frozen fruit yogurt bars are not EXACTLY paleta but they would at least be something!" Steve indulged me and swung past the natural food store. We ran in and emerged with COCONUT and strawberry pops...and a happy momma.

When White Dog saw the grocery bag a shadow crossed her eyes for a nanosecond. Then she understood that although it was a compromise, I HAD thought of them all. She smiled and called the WDA to treat positions.

No comments: