3.09.2018

March 8, 2018

White Dog said, "You better put some ice on your foot, momma. it is starting to swell. And some free advice...DON"T let Bailey stand with her full weight on you. She is heavy!"

"Tell me," I sighed. "And her resistance makes her about 6000 pounds heavier."

Bailey, at 65 lbs. makes most of the White Dog Army seem light as feathers. It is not that she is ungraceful or cumbersome; she is actually rather elegant...but she IS big.

Somewhere in her day, my blue eyed baby girl scratched the corner of her eye. It was red and puffy. All I wanted was to put some wash in the eye to rinse it and to add a medicated ointment. Quickly it was clear that this was a two-parent task and I called Steve.

"I will hold her still and you do the rinse and meds," I told him. The White Dog Army gathered to watch the show. I called Bailey close and sat her between my legs locking her tightly with my knees. One hand held her by the collar and the other went across the front of her and between her front legs. She looked at me serenely as I nodded to Steve.

In an instant she twisted and bucked pushing backward behind my legs and nearly knocking Steve over. I tightened my hold...and she charged forward tangling the collar around my fingers until she was gasping. I loosened my grip and she spun back managing to pull herself out of her collar. I felt like we were at the rodeo calf wrestling.

Steve chased her down this time putting on her harness with a leash as well as her collar. He led Bai back to me and she compliantly sat down and took a bribe treat. I put the leash under my foot slid my arm under the breastplate of the harness and held her rear leg. She rested her head against my arm.

Then Steve moved to finish the rinse. It was impressive to feel her muscles and strength. If it was ever truly a battle only my weight pinning her might give me the win; on brute force, she had me.

We got the eye irrigated and gave another treat. "Still need to put on the healing cream," I told Steve. All three of us tensed at the thought that for this he would need to actually make contact with his finger on her eye.

As his hand neared, Bailey tucked her head down, stood on my foot and pushed hard with her full force. It felt like my foot bones were being crushed and my cry startled her enough for Steve to quickly swipe on the goo.

Another treat and top of head kisses and Bailey forgave us...not so sure my foot has, however.

2 comments:

Sue Lunsford said...

Strong and determined is she! Hope your foot heals fast!

Brian's Home Blog said...

We hope you feel all better super soon.