6.20.2018

June 19, 2018

White Dog loves our vet, Dr. Julia, but at a distance. She respects her healing skills and her guidance in keeping the White Dog Army healthy. But visiting in person is very traumatic for the Little White Dog of My Heart.

We were there for WD's annual checkup and to renew her shots. I shared WD's lifelong adverse reaction to coming to the office. "Ever since she was spayed as a puppy, she always seems to know when a car ride means coming here, and she spends the entire ride shaking and begging not to go." The interesting factor is that Dr. Julia built an entire new building at a different location several years ago from when she was a puppy, yet White Dog KNOWS.

As we talked our vet flipped back through the ring binder that are the White Dog Army charts. "I saw her for the first time over 13 years ago, she had arrived to you just the day before and she weighed three pounds." She looked at My Girl. "You know we go things a little differently now when we spay; it is probably much better from the patient's perspective. Can you forgive me?"

White Dog stood bravely on the exam table leaning against Steve as she was examined, blood was drawn, and shots given. Then WD burrowed back into my arms.

"Pretty impressive," Dr. Julia told her. "You have maintained your weight and everything feels good. We will need to wait for the blood work but otherwise all is good." Then she looked at Steve and I. "She has NEVER had a dental? Her teeth are in very good shape but some plaque and gunk is starting to build up; she really should have her teeth cleaned so hopefully we will never need to remove any of her pearly whites."

White Dog quivered at this turn in the conversation and glared at Steve when he made an appointment for next week. "Sweet Girl," I consoled her. "Better to face the fear and do this than to wait until you need to have 11 extractions like poor Tizenegy did. I want you to be able to enjoy jerky and bones and all of the chewy things you love. It is not until next week. Let us not dwell on it but rather go home and celebrate this A+ Health Report Card you received." I kissed her head.


2 comments:

Random Felines said...

Poor White Dog....but glad you got a good report

TimberLove said...

Dear WhiteDog,

I too am having a dental with one extraction next week, I send commiserative woooos,

NanĂ¼k