8.05.2020

August 5, 2020

White Dog was standing next to where I slept. I sensed her before even opening my eyes and knew something was wrong. Then I heard Pearl softly whimpering in the other room. It was a classic "Lassie" moment. it was 2am. The lights hastily came on and I pushed Steve out of bed with the directive, "Something is wrong with Pearl. Go see." White Dog followed him over to the office and the White Dog Army tailed her.

"Oh no," Steve said. "Pearl just had a bowel explosion and it is eggplant colored."

"Wrap her in a towel if she is done and I will hold her. Collect a sample. Let's assess the situation."

Pearl was shaking from pain and fear. I held her against my heart and just rocked back and forth soothingly. "You are so brave Little One. You are going to be all right. We will sit together until you are calm then we will take a look at you. When you are ready."

The sample was purple because of the blood. Fortunately the dam burst had been small since Pearly Pearl had refused to eat all day. Steve brought me a basin and cloth to wash her up; he got the carpet shampooer. The WDA paced between the two rooms.

Pearl's shaking stopped and she did not respond to my press and groping. Her eyes grew heavy from the exhaustion. Steve can in and sat next to us on the bed; the Army gathered around. Everyone looked at me.

"I suspect our baby girl has developed an infection or colitis as a result of her colon issues. She can't wait until Thursday but I think she will sleep now. Let's bring her over to the vet earliest possible so they can do xray and I would be an IV.  If she wakes up again or has another burst, then we will go to ER." I shared my thoughts. Steve was in agreement. The WDA was already dividing watch shifts to lie next to her and observe. "I will stay awake," I told them. "Dad needs to sleep but I can nap later if I need it. Thank you all for helping."

Steve tucked Pearl into her bed. Bella curled up next to her and White Dog climbed on to her own bed right next to them.

Wednesdays are half days at the clinic; in pre-pandemic times the afternoons were reserved for surgeries. Now, Dr. Julia sometimes does not come in at all. I called at eight and spoke with Rosie, the surgical nurse. She confirmed that Dr. Julia was not planning to come in but she added, "I am sure she can be reached by phone." I told her Steve was on the way with Pearl, a sample, and thought that she would need fluids at the very least. We agreed Steve would leave Pearl and that Rosie would triage and call Dr. Julia. Steve needed to return by 11:30.

Pearl came home with amoxycillin and sulcrafate, to fight infection and calm the stomach...and immediately fell into a deep sleep. Rosie reassured Steve that Pearl probably would not eat tonight but to try and get her to drink.

My precious girl goes back tomorrow for some tests and new bloodwork and to continue IV treatment. She will stay all day under the watchful eye of Dr. Julia who will help bring back our baby Pearl's smile.  Meanwhile I try not to think too much about our poor little Gentle Storm who struggled with IBS and colitis her entire life...but I do picture our little angel Snowflake and ask her to watch over her sister.

1 comment:

TimberLove said...

Be well little furiend, we are thinking of woo,

Nuk & Timber