6.23.2018

June 22, 2018

White Dog jumped nearly as high as I did and the White Dog Army came rushing to investigate the sound. It had been a quiet, uneventful afternoon of computer work and energy-saving naps until we were all blasted out of normality by the screaming siren...coming from Steve's computer area.

I spun around but could see nothing amiss. No flashing lights, no smoke...just the sound that reminded me of grade school fire drills and clearly made the WDA ears hurt.

Thankfully, Steve answered the text almost immediately. "Um, what could be sounding an awful screaming alarm on your computer and how do I make it stop?" "Oh, crap."

"I'll be right home." The Sibe girls were cuing up to howl. "No need if you can tell me how." Bella and Opal were heading out of the dog door. WD was keening softly. Pearl and Tizenegy were trying to outbark it. Roman was getting agitated.

"It is the backup power battery. I got a notice it needed replacing." "Well, this seems to be your final warning," I said. "Is it timed to shutoff like the dryer alert?" "No. And I am not sure you can stop it."

"You have to stand on Tiz's bed. It is the black box on the cart with all the connections. Wiggle it forward so you can get behind it. Lean over it til you see the flashing green button at the bottom back. You need to push that and hold the button in for a count of 20."  "Let me try."

The WDA packed around me as I stood and walked over to "dad's" space. The machine was still yowling but the area was filled with dogs not keen on being cooperative. By now all were ill at ease and pained by the sound.

"Nope. I am not going to be able to get there." "I figured not, I am already in car on way home." The WDA and I moved to the living room and shared jerky to distract ourselves from the noise.

Steve was greeted with an extra loud chorus by the Army and their song continued as they followed him into the office...

...and then, silence.

No comments: