9.19.2020

September 18, 2020

White Dog was not happy with the extra fussing. Before her K laser therapy last week I felt a lump behind her front legs and above the start of her mammary glands. I felt like a fatty deposit but we do not take chances with lumps and bumps. I made Steve double check what my fingers felt to confirm but also to be able to share the spot with Nurse Rosie during treatment. Rosie felt around and suggested we set an appointment for Dr. Julia to see it and to do a fine needle aspiration. That visit was set up for this afternoon.

Steve called from the exam room. "Not a problem," he said. "So it is a fatty deposit?" I asked. "Nope. It isn't there." "WHAT? Are you looking in the right place. We all felt it before." "Dr. Julia has done a very thorough exam of the area and then all over her belly and body. There is no lump." "Well how can THAT be?" I pressed. Steve was starting to get frazzled and I heard Dr. Julia ask if I wanted to talk with her.

"Hi, there is no lump. I checked all over. Maybe it was a bug bite?" Dr. Julia started. "Did not feel like that," I told the vet.  "So what are possibilities? What appears as lump than melts away in 5 days?" She thought for a moment, "Nothing except a bug bite or skin condition but those would LOOK like something even after; you know a scab or red skin but there is nothing." 

"She is 15 years old so I get concerned at the unknown," I told her. "I understand" was her response. "I have to ask if cancers act like that...disappearing from one place and reappearing in another?' "We are not looking at cancer here," she reassured. "At this point all we can do is keep watch, both you at home, and when she comes in for laser treatment. We can be right on top of it then but I cannot diagnose what isn't there."  "You know I hate the unknown, doctor, and I am always suspect of things that seem 'magic.'" "Keep a watch but do not drive this Sweet Baby crazy by overchecking and worrying. I'll give the phone back to Steve."

"After all of this I am going to stop and get a hamburger for White Dog and Tiz to share. He has been very patient waiting; his shot took two minutes with no problems. Are you Ok with where we stand?"

"I would feel better if there was something we looked at it and aspirated and found it to be nothing rather than it just being gone but considering other options I am VERY ok with it. Enjoy the treats and hurry home. I won't tell the others."

No comments: