White Dog turned to look at me as we read the blogs and said: "This one's for you, mom!" With that she hopped off my lap and went to take a nap, leaving me alone at the keyboard. The World of Hansel tagged me for a meme. The Rules: I can "either (1) post 7 facts about yourself AND photos OR (2) post 10 facts about yourself with no photos, OR (3) post a childhood picture of yourself."
I will be posting 10 facts (believe me the family photos are definitely not for public consumption...red eyes, cut off heads, dad was not a photographer)!
1. I am the oldest of six girls.
2. Despite the efforts of the nuns in grade school and a drafting professor in college I am left-handed. (Although I mouse and cut right-handed).
3. I was born in Chicago and never travelled to the Southwest until Steve took me to Nevada (where he was born). On that trip I packed a snake-bite kit and metal canteen even though we were staying in Las Vegas!
4. My favorite city in the world is Paris (even though everyone smokes); my favorite US city is Los Angeles (even though the traffic is awful). The energy of both thrill me!
5. I was married in the forest at a Boy Scout Camp in Whitehall, MI in October; for our honeymoon we stayed in an unheated cabin (the camp was closed for the season). It was cold!
6. On our Christmas tree we only hang ornaments given to us by friends and family--mostly handmade--that represent that person (from paper chains made by my niece when she was 3 to miniature paintings done by fellow artists). Over the years we have accumulated quite a few...some of people who are no longer a part of our lives; others of friends who join us every Christmas Eve for our open house. Every ornament gets hung; every year!
7. I hate wearing shoes and go around the house barefoot. First thing I do whenever I return home is take my shoes off!
8. Since I was married we have always lived in apartments or houses circa the 1930's. I love the craftsmanship and the details of that old time construction but I hate the lack of kitchen counterspace! Our current home was built from a kit in the late 30's by a groom as a wedding gift for his bride; the family hand dug the basement 10 years later when they needed more space.
9. Unusual and beautiful textiles always catch my eye. I have an entire trunk of material that I have bought over the years because I could not resist the seduction. Someday I will sit at my sewing machine until every scrap has been turned into something functional!
10. I believe I am the luckiest human on the planet. I have the most incredible loving best friend of a husband; Siku, a more human dog who is more compassionately understanding than I ever thought possible; the best most supportive and generous group of friends that exist; and a community of caring, like-minded bloggers to share my stories with...who could wish for more?