11.15.2017

November 15, 2017

White Dog sat with me and indicated that she wanted to talk.

"Momma, my life has been perfect in every way since the moment I was born," she said. I stroked her side. "But I have learned so much from my siblings about the awful things that go on. Like Benson who was dumped on the streets and then got sick as a result. Or YoYoMa who was horribly abused before he was saved. Or Bella, Opal, Pearl, and Bailey who were never loved and forced to have litter after litter of puppies to sell. Or Nilla and Stormer thrown away by their families because they got old or became a bother. I thought I knew all of the ways that humans failed us...and White Dogs came to our door...

"Now I discover that there are those out there, called hoarders, who hurt dogs by loving them too much. People who may start out with good intentions, like saving the abandoned or the old from death, but who take on more than they can handle or care for and the dogs end up starving, neglected, treated like prisoners of war. I heard of one case that involves over 100 dogs and 50 cats...

"What those poor beings must suffer! And the people did not start out to be mean. And now that they have been discovered it is a sensitive complicated legal dance to get the creatures to safety and rescue them. I don't understand why they could not see that things were out of control and that they were hurting not helping. In fact, why do they resist help to fix things?"

I held her close. "Humans are often blindered when it comes to self assessment, especially if our vision is that we are doing something good. In human history there are thousands of examples where what was done was not in the best interests. In many of those instances there was not concerted rescue to save the day and horrible consequences ensued."

"But where will 100 dogs go, momma? They are sick and need medical attention, and have SO much baggage? And the cats, too. And this is just one story I know. I just want all beings to have the love, safety, and home I do. It should be a given thing."

I wrapped her in my arms. "Each of us does what we can. Think of all we know who rescue, transport, foster, adopt, support, and help spread the word. Every action saves lives and makes a difference. You, too, Little White Dog of My Heart, by taking in an Army, you provide the very love and safety you wish for them all."

WD sighed, "but there are still so many."

2 comments:

Random Felines said...

it is very sad....mom has worked with many hoarding cases and it is heartbreaking each and every time. for all the humans think they are doing "the right thing" they and the animals suffer for those decisions.

meowmeowmans said...

You are so right, friends. Hoarding situations are horrible and extremely sad. Our shelter has taken in animals from hoarding situations many times, and it always seems the hoarders started off just trying to help.