8.21.2019

August 20, 2019

White Dog filled in the details along with the thers and Steve when the nurse arrived to look at my leg. Ice and elevation had not done the trick overnight; in fact, my entire leg was swollen to the point of being hard and usable. The nurse was talking about water retention, the need to get the water off the leg, and drawing blood.

The White Dogs have become pretty used to the idea of medical types coming into the house and fussing with me. They at least limit their momma protection to lying nearby and watching intently ready to intercede if needed.

I am a tough blood draw...usually the best option is from the back of my hand or inside wrist using a baby butterfly needle. My veins are notorious for rolling which is a caution I give before I go into kind of a "zone" while they search for and score blood. We were not having much luck.

"Maybe it is the fluid build up," she offered apologetically. "But we really need to do these tests. When I was an ER nurse I was the go to for tough draws." She started rubbing the big vein between my shoulder   and neck. My look was nervous. "It seems pretty solid; we could try there."

The WDA decided that was a line they could not abide and as one stood and closed in ranks around me. My reassurances were not enough nor were Steve's come-sit commands. My pack was not going to let that BIG needle get so close to my face. Steve had to drag each dog to the kitchen behind the gate and then sit so they would not push through.

Quickly the nurse used the spot and drew what was needed. She moved to the other side of the room when Steve freed the WDA who swarmed me demanding sniffs and oks. She got glares and pointed body language that she was not welcome closer.

Labs will be back tonight. For the next three days I am to keep complete bed rest and increase my Lasik. On Friday the nurse will return and likely will add a stronger diuretic if there is still swelling. Ice is fine, but no wrapping. And lots of floofy white dog care.

1 comment:

meowmeowmans said...

I'm glad they were able to draw blood, Sue. Prayers and all good thoughts about the lab results, and your health. XO