8.03.2022

August 3, 2022

The day had not even started really. I put my feet on the floor and rocked to grab and move to the commode and then life became slow motion. "I am going down," I told Steve as my right leg gave out and I crumpled to the ground, right leg twisted painfully under me and my toes bent totally backward.

From all corners of the house the White Dog Army charged to my face...and chest...and legs. The purposefully designed narrow space between bed and facility forced the pups up on the bed to see as Steve untangled me.

Thus began the rescue. Steve cannot lift me and I had no use of my leg so with visions of becoming the Old Lady poster child of the week, we called 911 for EMT assistance. While we waited the Army paced and barked and complained mightily when Steve sequestereed them all.

After totally moving every bit of furniture including the bed, it was a simple task to get me back on the bed. After botching the question about today's date I managed to convince the EMT team that nothing seemed broken, a hospital trip was not necessary, and that I would immediately contact my homecare Doctor. Frankly, the Army was glad I was not being taken away.

Steve was left with the task of reconstructing the bedroom including putting the bed back in place (with me now on it). "Thank god for high school physics," he said as he used a series of levers and blocks to get the bed back in place. 

For safety, my Doctor sent a nurse to check me over and to put in a catheter (my bladder was bursting by that point). Elizabeth explained, "we don't want you trying to transfer until we are sure your leg is strong enough. So four days in bed. You can try sitting up but not for too long. Call us for any reason. We wil be back over the weekend."

Then everyone was gone and it seemed almost a dream until I swung my legs down to give much desereved dog treats. We had missed Coffee Club, lunch turkey dog bites, and it was now six in the evening. I am nursed by a rotating staff which never leaves me unattended. The bruising is starting to bloom and Steve feels the muscle strain of his part in of this. More insidious I feel the creeping tentacles of fear; I whisper a prayer to the heavenly WDA to keep me brave.


  

5 comments:

24 Paws of Love said...

Oh my! I'm so sorry this happened. I hope the rest will help. Sending prayers and hugs. ♥ Feel better soon.

Karen Chilson said...

I am so try to hear what happened! I will say a prayer that this will resolve and both you and Steve will be doing better soon!

Becky said...

Oh my love, I'm feeling your heart. Just spent the weekend in hospital with DKA (diabetic keto acidosis) myself. The fear is real but we are so lucky to have our armies for safety. Please take care as will I and remember the love from me and mine as I always remember your love too. Becky

Gus said...

Please take care. Call if you need anything, or if there is anything I can send to help Steve with ingredients or spices or … whatever. P M me so we don’t embarrass either of our significant others.

Sending prayers from the humans and messy kisses from Teka, who believes all the ladies who giggle and tell her
she is such a cute doggie.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sue. Thinking of you and wishing you well. ❤️